Thursday, September 23, 2004

of cabbages and kings

hotchpot = bringing together of shares in order to divide them up again on an equal basis

(Thank you, Random House Dictionary.)

The writing (obviously) progresses, but the chapter isn't going to be as polished or as complete as I would like it to be by tomorrow afternoon. I've got the scraps of paper with the jotted thoughts yet to be included lined up on my desk; I might be through two-thirds of them. I miss the days when I could pull all-nighters. Another sixteen hours of solid work, a few pots of coffee, plenty of pain pills, and things would be in pretty good shape. (laughter) OK, maybe I don't.

I debated having a word with one or more of the Patron Saints of students on this subject, but having looked them up, I'm not sure about this. Three of them (Jerome, Thomas Aquinas and Gregory the Great) didn't think much of women, and Gabriel Possenti never went to graduate school.
Words Written: four hundred and six
Lessons Graded: fifteen

2 comments:

Joe said...

A thought on patron saints...

The Brookland area of Washington, DC, was referred to as "Little Rome" in the '40s and '50s. The Catholic University of America is in the neighborhood, and a number of Catholic religious houses and institutes sprung up around it. Outside of one of said houses is a statue of Saint Jerome, sitting cross-legged, deep in contemplation or sorrow or something, slumping forward with his head in his hands. The statue has developed a sickly green patina. He looks unwell.

Some blocks away is a statue of Christ himself, arm raised toward North Capitol Street (I think). Presumably He is mid-parable, but everyone I know calls that statue "Jesus hailing a taxi."

Must've been some party. Maybe you should pick a patron who could get himself home...

lemming said...

Rachel - Argh! Not Abelard!

Joe - some party, indeed. Do you suppose they served Sake? :-)