Monday, October 31, 2005

that voodoo that you do

During my freshman year of college, I spent far too much time and energy trying to understand one of my professors. He obviously knew the material and made just enough wry asides to indicate that teaching could have its positive moments. Yet he never kept office hours, met with me to discuss paper options only with the greatest reluctance, and turned most discussions into lectures. Most baffling to me, with a week to go before the final exam, he still had not handed back our mid-term exams. Two or three of us from the class brought our desperation to the chair, and the blue books reached us on the last day of the semester.

A friend once made me a voodoo doll of this man, complete with a list of suggested activities.

Occasionally I've learned something about the way in which my students see my classes, but I've only ever heard bits said with a smile or a laugh ("She's not kidding - her maps are terrible!) ("Notice how she always tells us about the redheads?") I do hope that I haven't inspired any voodoo dolls, but perhaps I have.

Hmm... can you use magic to give your teacher pnuemonia?

5 comments:

torporindy said...

Well, I never did cast any magic spells against teachers, but when I was a little kid I used to pray for snow days.

WTDT said...

Oooh! Oooh! Which one?

Come on, you gotta tell us. Pleeeeease?

Alison said...

I'm with Matt - dish! Even if you don't give a name, a description would probably do the job...

Pretty please? Huh?

John Burzynski said...

Does this all work with bosses, too?

tommyspoon said...

C'mon Lemm, cough up a name! Or a description!