Wednesday, October 19, 2005

follow-ups

Sam came home with pills to be taken every six hours or so. "Just mix them in with his usual food," quoth the tech. Ha! Not this dog. Right now he's accepting the contents of the capsules when mixed with beef broth and a bit of hamburger. By this time next week he'll have me feeding him filet mignon, seasoned with basil, oregano and a dash of tobasco, all with a teaspoon of medication. Yes, I spoil my dog when it comes to meds. Look out: he still has all of his teeth.

Let's not discuss what the "routine geriatric" bloodwork cost, but it was almost as expensive as the dental work.

I'm slowly getting better. As per my beloved doc's instructions, this means spending several hours a day resting in bed. As a result, I've realized just how lame my video collection truly is. Oh, I have a few fun films, and watching Alan Rickman in Sense and Sensibility, followed by Colin Firth in Pride and Prejudice isn't exactly a hardship. On the other hand, one can only watch even a brilliant film (such as Singin' In the Rain) so many times before cabin fever sets in. Somewhere I have box of action films given to me by a friend for helping him move, but I've no idea where they might be hiding. In the meantime, it's Bell, Book and Candle for me...

2 comments:

Joe said...

Oh, they did say "geriatric." I hate it when they say "geriatric." Still, sounds like he's doing well... hope you are soon too.

John Burzynski said...

I just open our dog's mouth and shove the monthly heartworm/flea/ whatever else a dog suffers from pill down her throat...then close her mouth, cover here eyes and rub downwards on her throat. It is a technique that the doctor showed me, works every time...except that my hand is a bit slobbery when I am done.

When Ginger gets her 2 or 3 times a year allergy problems, then I have twice a day medicine, and she knows it is coming, so it is a bit more difficult. Still, she is a good dog, takes her medicine and then gets a treat.

Hope you feel better, my creeping crud is going on two weeks but has subsided, thanks to early doses of Promethazine w/codeine (it was the codeine that did it). Doc told me to stay in bed for a day or two also (after I missed a day of work for the first time in years), what did I do?...Yardwork and home improvement.

At least I proved the doctor wrong...