Saturday, May 28, 2005

I just can't hide it

I'm so excited. My new book came - well, all right, it's used but new to me. Can't wait to read it.

Then I realized - I am so far into academe that I truly must be a grad student faculty wanna be. (Emphasis upon "wanna be" - how many PhDs have read this book with enthusiasm?) The name of this new and exciting book? The Rise and Fall of the American Whig Party.

I am deeply lame. To borrow a line from John Quincy Adams, "I am an unsocial savage." I concede the point.

Excuse me - I have a book to read.

(throws green book gently against the sofa)

4 comments:

torporindy said...

The Whigs were an interesting party. As you read the book, I'd be interested in hearing how much and in what detail the splinter "know-nothing" party is covered.

John Burzynski said...

Good Lord lemming...'The Rise and Fall of the American Whig Party'...you need tog et out more!


Seriously, nothing wrong with reading a book like that, especially if you have an interest in history from that period.

Joe said...

My reading pile currently includes "Understanding Information Use in a Multidisciplinary Field: A Local Citation Analysis of Neuroscience Research."

Top that. ;-)

(If the sky clears, maybe I'll read it in the hammock with a beer...)

Anonymous said...

Have your read the Educaton of Henry Adams? I have claimed it to be the best book I ever read, but that was back in the days when I was reading it and very much involved in American studies. Sigh. I have never found another human being (other than the teacher) who thought it had merit. Your Whig book reminds me of this for some reason.

nice to read you, lemming. Carry on.