Thursday, October 07, 2004

Hey! Mr. Postal Carrier Person!

GET BACK HERE!!!

Lot of large envelopes in the mail today, none of them from my advisor (may he live forever.) Grrrrr. At this rate, I might actually manage to complete A Moveable Feast before I go back to work.

I've read about a hundred pages; I'm sorry, Joe, but I still don't like Hemingway. This book has made me long for French food, preferably shellfish and pastries, but he's still far too caught up in the overall meaninglessness and pointlessness of living to really attract my attention. The in-joke portraits of his buddies are fun, I grant you.

Words Written: zero
Lessons Graded: twenty-eight

1 comment:

Joe said...

Well, thanks for trying it and sticking with it, anyway. I found something very moving about the expats as described in the book... not laudible, and in some ways unrealistic, but, well, sad.

I also don't read a lot of memoirs, and I found that an interesting experience. After all, we know how it's going to turn out, that it has to turn out that way, that no one can write another ending. So I found the foreshadowing of real events to be fascinating. Of course, in your line of work, that's probably less impressive.

Plus, it made me hunger to go to Paris. And eat.