Thursday, January 10, 2008

more technology, advanced and otherwise

Well, it's been a busy week here at lemming headquarters. As I am a particularly cruel and vindictive person at times, I was delighted to hear that the tech person about whom I last blogged as "resigned to spend more time with their family." Don't let the door hit you on the way out or I will.

Tech's replacement proved to be funny, helpful, understood me when I said "well, I click on the yellow bit and then the red button doesn't come up" and I am prepared to bear his children.

Continuing the stream of happiness, not one but three former students e-mailed me pictures from their vacations. "Oh my gosh, prof lemming, I read about location x in your class and here I am in front of it!" That was cool.

I've started thinking about the syllabus for one of my classes for the spring - I still have a few weeks. I've done the class before, but in a different format. I think I', going to pitch the old bits and start from scratch. This will make for more work (ick) but will be more interesting for me and hopefully for them.

I recently mentioned to one of my favorite college profs that I did occasionally doodle in their class - it had actually helped me follow what was being said. Said prof was horrified. "You did? Really?" This makes me feel better about the students I saw doodle in my class at the end of last semester!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's hard to find a tech guy who pretends to be human. We had two for several years who put passwords on everything so that no one could access anything. Now that they're gone the new IT guys, who I think came from a different planet than the old ones, are like angels.
Now we can get to all the files we need and they let us download programs that help us do our jobs. It's amazing!

Jim Wetzel said...

"Tech's replacement proved to be funny, helpful, understood me when I said 'well, I click on the yellow bit and then the red button doesn't come up' and I am prepared to bear his children."

I knew I should've gone into IT! I just knew it!!!