Thursday, June 15, 2006

another useful saint

Today is the feast day of St. Vitus. He is the patron saint of comedians, dancers and Sicily. He can be invoked against choera, epilepsy, lightening, snake-bite, wild animals and, my personal favorite, over-sleeping.

My saint guide observes that while his "cult is very old... credible details about his life are few, nor can we be certain of his connection with the debilitating medical condition of rheumatic chorea called St. Vitus's Dance." Vitus's life includes last minute escapes from lions and immersion in boiling oil, and at least one instance of dancing angels distracting a would-be executioner.

The guide makes no mention whatsoever of why he is associated with over-sleeping.

Historical note: I am reasonable confident that I am one of a very few Indiana bloggers ever to use the word "chorea" in an entry.

4 comments:

Jason said...

So do you pray to St. Vitus before or after hitting the snooze button?

torporindy said...

I think I danced a chorea once. Of course, there may have been some ouzo involved.

tommyspoon said...

I like Chick Chorea.

Oh nevermind...

Matt Brown said...

Next full moon, I'll be dancing, yeah!