Monday, December 26, 2005

Happy Boxing Day!

Not surprisingly, people tend to give me books for Christmas. Generally they fall into three categories:

1) one book that I start reading right awayand devour before Boxing Day

2) a few books that look really interesting and I'll read at some point in the next year

3) one or two books that I would read if I had nothing else to read, but that really hold very little appeal for me

This year, every book given to me falls into category #1, despote ranging across a great many genres and fields. Happiness, happiness, happiness

(melts in bliss)

2 comments:

John Burzynski said...

You never told us the titles....

Don said...

There was an essay in Sunday's New York Times Book Review that said giving another person a book was like buying underwear for someone.

I always hate to feel ungrateful for getting books that I am not interested in reading, but it is hard to understand the interior passion and interest one may hold for a book, or an author, or a subject. Certainly, such feelings are not completely rational, or do they need to be explained to others.