Wednesday, July 06, 2011

Day Thirteen - Song Meme - A Guilty Pleaure

I've been told that the new "30 Days Meme" is all about musical theater, a genre where I'm more likely to be focused in my replies, and that I am behind the times by only being on day thirteen.

So be it. :-) It's my blog.

Oh, and a recent student evaluation complained that I should not use smiley faces when I write comments. Again, it's my class. So be it.

Speaking of show tunes, I reserve the right to sing (quietly) "The Lusty Month of May" on May Day, and "June is Bustin' Out all Over" on the first of June. One song was written for a soprano and another for an alto, so I can pretend that it's vocal exercise, right? Well, maybe it is, but they're both damned fine songs and I know all the words, so why not?

I think that "guilty pleasure" means "a song you really like, don't know why, but that doesn't matter, you might feel vaguely guilty, or a bit silly, but you like the song anyway, and so what if you think I'm a bit odd." (Well, I am a bit odd.)

"What Fool Believes" by the Doobie Brothers - I'd post a link, but You Tube is being weird - is that guilty pleasure. I blush to think about how high up it is in my itunes frequent play list.

First of all, this is a great song to sing at the top of my lungs when it comes on the car radio, particularly on a sunny day when the windows are open. Secondly, though my music theory and arrangement music and sense of harmony is thin, this song has some great non-sung moments when I love to sing "bump-bump-bump" etc.

3 comments:

Harriet M. Welsch said...

The Episcopal church I attended in college did a Sing-Along Messiah every year where instead of hiring soloists, as at most such events, they just let everybody sing everything, no matter what voice part. It was fantastic. So sing away.

Jeanne said...

I never think of that song (What a Fool Believes) unless I'm hearing it, but always like hearing it! I would never have suspected I share so many of your musical tastes.

FreshHell said...

I think you're allowed to like anything you want. I could listen to that Doobie Brothers song and not cringe.

And: :) :) :) :)

In case you need a few extras.