Monday, December 22, 2008

blast from the past

I got "one of those" e-mails last night. I want to emphasize that although it came from a man, I never slept with him or anything like that. He's just, well, complicated. He was a student, a very good student, but also someone I know that I know I was a life-changing person and pushed him and did good things and that's a kind of strange and heavy piece to carry sometimes.

He's not sentimental, so I don't hear from him often. When I do, I always want to push push push - what are you doing? How are you doing? Married? kids? I know this man and I know that pushing him in that direction is a surefire way to make sure I learn nothing. He may be the only man who has ever gotten me to play by his rules.

We exchanged e-mails last night - I don't think that any of them was longer than 20 words. I know that he is alive and employed. (At a conservative estimate, he makes 100 times more than I make.) I don't think there's any way to make it fully clear to him how much that means to me.


John B. said...

Just be careful, getting those type of emotions stirring around Christmas time is no good.

Hugh said...

I hear you, Lemming. Coming back to Ohio has stirred a lot of wacky emotions, fueled by the incredible hold the past has on this place.

CompletelyGeeked said...

Must be a seasonal thing. I had one of those from someone I haven't spoken with in more than 20 years. It's like an early Christmas present.