Tuesday, July 15, 2008

point of view?

I woke up in the middle of the night and simply couldn't get back to sleep. After a while I gave up and turned on the radio. Indianapolis NPR plays BBC World Service at night and it's generally 1) interesting (oh, that Colin Firth interview!) and #2 eventually soothes me back to my pillow's charms.

I came in halfway through the piece, so I have only a hazy understanding of what precipitated the narration, but the story involved two scientists and the reporter roaming around on an island, studying various kinds of amphibians to see how many of them had become infected by a fungus. All animals collected were swabbed in a variety of, er, personal areas as well as the stomach, and then released. At one point they found a certain kind of newt (salamander? are they the same?) and in my drowsy state, I started to wonder how it felt in that moment.

"OK, here I am, minding my own business, looking for a meal - oops, I've been picked up by a large creature, all right, better prepare to be someone else's meal - wait, what's going on? What on earth - ew! Hey! If I'm not going to be your next lunch, don't touch me there! Oo! Oo! That tickles!"

2 comments:

Chase Driven said...

The Critter just went for a second round of shots. He's a happy go lucky kid and this visit to the dr's office was no different. He's looking around ("hey -- white walls!" "who's that person?" "hey mom's still here!") when all of a sudden someone stabs him in the leg. twice!

talk about perspective.

Jeanne said...

We went crabbing in SC last week, and a tourist on the public dock asked if we were going to eat the crabs we'd caught. I said yes. We did throw the hermit crabs back because they're not edible, but why the heck would you be out trying to catch creatures if you're not going to eat them???