Saturday, June 28, 2008

a double requium

I'm sorry, Thea. I blame myself.

We spent so much time together - years, really. Even when I didn't understand you, you never let me down. During the marathon sessions of trying to write a dissertation, you stood by me. Together we struggled through many an adversity. I spent more time with you that I have with many people.

If I hadn't tried to install a new operating system, your hard drive never would have melted and we'd still be together. Bill Gates had to go and come out with a new version of Word, so I needed the new system... curse you, retired Mr. Gates, for forcing my over-worked computer to collapse.

I do feel like I have lost a family member - and, yes, I did name my computer.

On a more serious note, I have just learned of the death of a human. I never knew "Jane" well, she was just one of those people who was always there when I was growing up, in this case, at church. Jane lived to be in her nineties (she left the choir after sixty years) and truly was the quintessential little old lady. Plug in every stereotype and Jane fulfilled it, and she was lovely - could quite possibly have been a Miss Marple on the side.

She outlived everyone - her obituary lists cousins only; I don't know if she was an only child or just outlived all of them and no one had any children.

What I loved about her obit is that in addition to the usual details, it lists her best friend. Now, I know that many folks will look at this and make assumptions about her sexuality. She wasn't. I love it that the friend made it in anyway.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

My condolences on your losses. As for the computer, I understand completely. My computer's name is Eleanor.

Drewster said...

I find computers to insidious to be named. You let them too close, they will only break your heart.

My car Matilda completely agrees.

Ron Griggs said...

Never anthropomorphize computers...they hate it.

itsmecissy said...

My car is named "Olive."

Anonymous said...

My computer is called William. :)

One Man and his Dogs said...

Hmm.... my computer is generally called "*!*#@!*!" On a good day....