Saturday, November 17, 2007

tis the season

A few years back I confessed that Christmas for me hasn't truly arrived until I hear Mariah Carey sing seasonal tunes. This is conclusive proof of a deep-seated personal failing, possibly requiring professional treatment, but I can't help it. It's just not really and truly the Christmas season until I hear her "All I Want For Christmas Is You" on the radio.

(I also need to hear Springsteen "Santa Claus is Comin' To Town" so I can't be a totally lost cause musically.... I hope. Maybe?)

Last year the Mariah moment didn't happen. I took to playing the radio even when I had a headache and wanted quiet, just in case... but no go. Not once. Not even Christmas Day.

Both toner cartridges gave out this morning, so I ran out to Ye Audle Big Box Shopping Emporium and, before I knew it, before I'd thought about it, without even planning, I picked up Carey's Christmas CD and put it in the cart. It's now burned to my computer. I know, the Beethoven, Copeland and Glass tracks are contemplating a mass exodus at the moment, though they've lived alongside the Doobie Brothers for quite a while now without complaint.

I've heard the song - twice. I am happy.

8 comments:

John Burzynski said...

There is only one place where a Mariah Carey CD should be burned...in the town square.

Every time I hear that 'All I want For Christmas is You' song I want to puke.

Ok, onto other topics that we can agree on.

itsmecissy said...

My personal fave is "Santa Baby" but ONLY sung by Eartha Kit.

tommyspoon said...

Pay no attention to those who would burn music they don't care for, Lemm. That cover is one of my faves.

And I adore the Madonna cover of "Santa Baby".

Happy Holidays!

Ron Griggs said...

It's all about the movie. "Love Actually" has become the Christmas movie at my house. One song connects to another and suddenly we're singing "Christmas is all around us..." and trying to dance like Hugh-Grant-as-Prime-Minister to "Jump (For My Love)." It--God help me--is now my favorite Christmas movie.

Joe said...

When I rule the world, playing Christmas music before Thanksgiving dinner is cleaned up will be a social faux pas, a federal crime, and a venial sin. :-)

And if I go crazy in the next week looking for the zydeco cover of Blue Christmas (Noel Bleu?) I heard 5 years ago, it's on your head...

Jason said...

Whenever I hear that "All I want for Christmas" song, all I can think of is the end of the movie Love Actually, with the girl singing it at a school holiday show.

Yes, I just referenced Love Actually.

Yes, I just traded in my testicles for ovaries.

Drewster said...

Love Actually is the best movie! I only saw it the once though. I think I will start a list of great movies I only saw the once to see again.

Love Actually
Down With Love

Well, I won't bore you. Happy Thanksgiving! I am reving up the Christmas CDs right now! Got to clear room and clean the living room to make way for the Christmas tree!

Matt Brown said...

I just bought Relient K's "Let it Snow Baby... Let it Reindeer." It's great - reminiscent of Blink 182's sound.

What's happening? You haven't posted in a month. Busy, busy??