Tuesday, June 26, 2007

more great literature

It's a very long story why I ended up with this book in my hands and before my eyes instead of Nancy Drew.

Anyway, today's literary quotation comes from Ellen Glasgow's 1911 work, The Miller of Old Church. Think American Thomas Hardy, but racist. The story, set in Virginia, is actually quite good, with a few interesting plot twists... but there's a lot (and I do mean a lot) of of people just standing around and expostulating. The narrator expostulates a lot, too.

It is a mood that comes once to every man - to some men more frequently - a mood in which the prehistoric memory of the soul is stirred, and an intolerable longing arises for the ancient nomadic freedom of the race; when the senses surfeited by civilization cry out for the strong meat of the jungle

It goes on. Men long not just for jungles and nomadic freedom and strong meat but, apparently, also for pottage.

I do not pretend to understand men, much as I like, admire and appreciate them. This information, however, casts an entirely new light upon them.

4 comments:

John Burzynski said...

Makes me want a 16 oz. Porterhouse and a good NFL game...that is about as jungleistic as I get anymore.

Jim Wetzel said...

NOMAD WARRIOR CHIEFTAIN: Bartleby, what is best in life?

ME (in an unaccountable Austrian accent): To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women!

Ugghh!

Hugh said...

mmMmmMMMmm. . .

Me want POTTAGE!

Matt Brown said...

My dog found a squirrel carcass in our backyard the other day. For a second, I almost yanked it out of her mouth so I could stick it into mine... just for a second.