Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Davy Jones?!

While I am saddened to hear of the death of Davy Jones (sixty-five, heart attack) I'm stunned by how quickly the news reached #1 on the BBC's news feed.

In juxtaposition with Houston's death, Jones' life raises the long-standing problem of "what do you do when you reach fame by being a fresh faced kid and then grow up?" to which there are no easy answers. For every Natalie Wood there's a Matthew Waterhouse. Mickey Dolenz has successfully reinvented himself as an "adult" in entertainment, and I confess that I admire Wil Wheaton's evolution into maturity.

Jones seems to me to have floundered a bit here and there and managed to come out singing, but I'm sure the news feeds will tell us more all too soon.

Anyway, enjoy Davy's singing on Scooby-Doo.

2 comments:

edj3 said...

Bonus points for mentioning Wil Wheaton!

FreshHell said...

RIP Davy. I think he's the reason David Bowie changed his name. So there'd be no confusion. Some kid actors do well as adult performers. Martha Plimpton comes to mind. Drew Barrymore's done well. Ron Howard, etc. Plenty crash and burn. The curse of the cast of Diff'rent Strokes comes to mind.